Friday, November 11, 2005

Movie Haiku - Elizabethtown

www.uk.yahoo.com/elizabethtown


Dir: Cameron Crowe


Cast: Orlando Bloom, Kirsten Dunst, Susan Sarandon, Alec Baldwin


They meet on a plane

she gives him route and cool tunes

for trip with dead dad


I like Cameron Crowe films. Even Vanilla Sky. And Almost Famous is probably one of my top ten favourite films of all time. So the lukewarm reviews which have met Elizabethtown have had me worried, especially Vic who simply summed it up by saying "don't bother" after seeing it earlier in the week. The film is all about Drew (Bloom), a shoe designer whose latest creation is branded a fiasco (for reasons never quite made clear) costing the company millions of dollars. He's already suicidal when he receives news that his father has died back in his hometown of Elizabethtown, so he flies out to handle the funeral arrangements and deal with family members who he hasn't seen in years. On the flight he's befriended by a stewardess Claire (Dunst) who gives him her number, and over the next few days she helps him to find himself again and deal with his feelings towards his dad. This is director Crowe's most personal film and focuses solely on relationships and family, utilising his talent for great characterisation and emotional weight to the full here. The rapport between Drew and Claire is pivotal here, but they make an engaging couple. Bloom - who I've never considered to be a great actor - is actually fine here, which is just as well as his character is in nearly every scene, although to be fair most of his acting has to do with reacting to situations around him and letting things happen. But he does it well. Dunst, who I've always liked going way back to Small Soldiers, excels in another girl-next-door role, although the more cynical amongst you might question her motives (she plans this whole road trip for him and compiles dozens of CDs too... erm, why?), she really is every male's fantasy here - a girl who is everything that Drew needs while he is at his lowest ebb. I just adored their relationship and their scenes are romantic and sweet without ever being too saccharine - talking on their mobiles all night, watching the day break together, parting at the gas station, all handled brilliantly. And even Drew's grief when he finally acknowledges his father's passing isn't dwelt upon as lesser filmmakers would have done. Sure, there are flaws, with Crowe neglecting to follow up a number of plot strands concerning supporting characters including Drew's boss (Baldwin), soon to be ex-girlfriend (Jessica Biel), his cousin, and unscrupulous uncle, but the drive of the main plot holds the attention so well that you never really question these omissions until after the film has ended. One scene which could have done with some trimming however is the speech by his mother (Sarandon) at the memorial service which is well intentioned but far too long and really slows the film down. Elizabethtown certainly succeeds with another essential soundtrack provided by Crowe's wife, Nancy Wilson, and peppered with songs that capture each moment perfectly. And it's the second time we've heard Freebird in a movie this year (the first was in The Devil's Rejects) and again it's timing is spot on. I can understand some of the criticisms levelled at Elizabethtown but I relished the life-affirming sentiments and relationships within the film and found it a rewarding visit. If you like Cameron Crowe's other work then don't be put off by the poor reviews, give it a chance - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

soulmining rating: ****

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I really want to see this film if I can ever get well enough to go outside again!

soulmining said...

Like I've just said in my review, if you like his style of films then you should like this one - the audience I saw it with all seemed to appreciate it too.

Hope you're feeling well enough to go and see it soon! Let me know what you think of it when you do.

Kelly said...

I felt a little better yesterday so went to see this at the early showing at UGC. I loved it. Just my sort of film and it really put a smile on my face. I agree with you. Orlanmdo Bloom actually wasn't that bad and he is nice to look at so I forgave him any bits that I thought he could have done better!

Thanks for the tip!