Thursday, January 05, 2006

Love Is Stronger Than Death

Katherine Horton RIP.

I make no apologies for this more sombre post this morning. I'm not keeping any kind of diary this year, so therefore from now on my blog may well include some more personal entries in addition to the usual film and music stuff.

I was shocked to read about the murder of 21 year old student Katherine Horton on the island of Koh Samui, Thailand, this week. She was staying at New Huts on Lamai beach - the exact same place that my friends have stayed the last two times that they've been on the island.

It made me remember the backpacker Kirsty Jones who was murdered in Chiang Mai in 2000, at a guest house adjacent to the bookshop where my friend John lives and works.

It made me remember the terrorist bombing at the Sari Club in Bali which killed 202 innocent people - a club that I used to drink at regualrly when I was staying at Kuta beach.

And it made me remember the police shooting of John Mark Scott last year in the sleepy Northumbrian village of Stocksfield where my parents live.

So what's the point I'm trying to make here? There are so many atrocities and killings happening around the globe, yet most of the time they pass us by unnoticed unless they happen to someone we know or a place that we know intimately well. These events serve to remind me of our fragile existence in this world - and how precious life is.

No comments: