Thursday, February 17, 2005

Soulwax at the Concorde


So I went to see Soulwax with Rich last night. Now we both love their Much Against Everyone's Advice album and their 2 Many DJs alter-ego, but have been locked in conflict over their latest album, Any Minute Now. Rich couldn't stomach one complete playback without reaching for the eject button, citing the awful production and a distinct lack of tunes. I gave it more time, and whilst I agree that the production on the album is distinctly less-than crisp, and it's best to ignore the lyrics, the songs themselves are probably - as a whole - stronger than the tracks on their debut album.

The first thing to say about Soulwax live is that they play loud. Very f***ing loud. My ears are still buzzing even now. Admittedly we were standing right down at the front, but even so, the volume was deafening. Now I always thought that the new songs would work better performed live and boy did I hit the nail on the head with that prediction! They opened with a couple of the weaker tracks from Any Minute Now, but even these sounded sharp and brimming with energy and potential. Much Against Everyone's Advice got the audience moving and E Talking - the current single - was the first highlight, switching midway into a seriously hardcore dance interlude. Their approach to music works so well and is addictive stuff - simple rhythms and loops, slowly building with vocals, synths, samples and crashing guitars until you find yourself bounding about with a huge grin on your face. Other album tracks like Slowdance and Compute followed this formula to a tee, and the band finished with a rousing rendition of 2 Many DJs which got everyone jumping. The band were obviously enjoying themselves too, telling us it was the best gig they've played on this tour, and duly returned for two encores, including a blinding version of NY Excuse, before departing the stage in squall of guitar feedback.

Soulwax live then - an early contender for gig of the year as far as I'm concerned. As for Rich... they won him over too. The best gig he's seen in ages, better than Rammstein - and they had flamethrowers on stage - and he's even talking about buying the new album now!

2 comments:

Stephen McMullin said...

Sounds like a good gig, I, sadly, haven't seen anyone since the Polyphonic Spree in November. That was odd.

No, I have not seen Audition, though I've seen the trailer a couple of times and it's been enough to give me the shivers. I'm not very good at ye olde Japonaise horror. There's just something inherently scary about oriental children!

And the recurring theme of the long, black hair covering a totally expressionless face gives me the willies no end.

Which begs the question: Why watch it?

Masochism?

Oh, I meant to ask - how'd you get the links all down the side of the page? I'm still very stupid about all this stuff...

Nikita said...

I like your photos taken in your office too, they are so REAL! and I can tell that you were having a great time with your fellows.