Friday, February 11, 2005

I ♥ Huckabees - the love / heart debate

I'm currently having a big argument about this movie. Not about the film itself - which I haven't managed to see as yet - but about the film's title. I happen to think that it's quite cool that the director insisted on using the symbol on all the movie's advertising, but it begs the question: what is the actual title of the film? Should you say I Heart Huckabees, replacing the symbol with the actual word, or should you say I Love Huckabees, replacing the symbol with the symbol's literal meaning?

Personally I think it should be I Love Huckabees. It makes more sense. If you scribble "I You" then you're saying "I Love You", not "I Heart You". Simple. Yet there's a lot of people out there who insist that the proper title should be I Heart Huckabees, and that this was the director's choice, but I remain unconvinced. In fact if you click over to IMDB (who list it as I Heart Huckabees) you'll find a whole thread of people arguing over the exact same issue...

Anyway, I've conducted a straw poll amongst friends and colleagues over the past 24 hours and at the moment Heart is narrowly beating Love by five votes to four. Hmmmmmmm.

So, dear readers, it's over to you - what do you think I Huckabees should be called?

2 comments:

Stephen McMullin said...

Personally I think it should be called, "I H8 Huckabees", but i'm a bitter person, so I would.

YYZ Girl said...

I think it should be "I Heart Huckabees" because it is all sorts of PoMo that way. And let's face it, being post modern is where it's at. Fo' shizzle!