Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Oh My God, it's snowing outside!


The snow arrives at Crawley Leisure Park late last night.

They've been threatening snow for the past few days and it finally hit Brighton at 4pm yesterday with some strong flurries gusting past our office. It didn't last. Then Rich and I drove up to Crawley later in the evening and when we emerged from the cinema we found the car park covered in snow, and full of couples having snowball fights! The drive back down the A23 was treacherous, with blizzard conditions around Haywards Heath and one lane being completely covered with snow. Sadly back in Brighton it was still snowing, yet you wouldn't know it... it just never seems to lie here.

So why do I get so excited about the appearance of snow, it's hardly as if I'm a little kid any more? I dunno, I guess maybe because being down here on the South coast we so rarely see any of it. When I was growing up in Northumberland you could guarantee a couple of decent snowfalls every Winter, and I've got fond memories of being sent home early from school (or not being able to get there in the first place) and going off sledging with my mates. The last proper snowfall here in Brighton must have been seven years ago when I can remember the roads being blocked and having to walk four miles into work. Ahhhhhh... happy days!

2 comments:

YYZ Girl said...

hahaha...i live in that magical winter wonderland place called Canada...so that pic barely counts as snow let alone a blizzard:P

スロ / Bernat said...

And freezing too!