Friday, February 10, 2006

Back in Chiang Mai

Sean & me on the balcony at Veerachai Court

Yesterday we flew to Bangkok, only just making it onto the plane by the skin of our teeth (why didn't they warn us that the departure gate was miles away?), and were then lucky enough to book a connecting flight up to Chiang Mai - although we then got stuck on the plane for an hour while they had to make an emergency tyre change. We finally got into the city around 10:30pm and I got a room at Veerachai Court (where Dave is staying). With Justin still away in Om Koi, the one other person I wanted to track down straight away was my American buddy Sean, and one phonecall took care of that - so by 11:30pm I was in one of my regular bars enjoying my first ice cold Beer Chang with Sean, Dave and Ying (Dave's girlfriend).

It's great being back here in Chiang Mai; although things always change it still feels like a second home to me. And despite being the second largest city in Thailand it still has a village feel about the place. Last night alone I managed to bump into eight people I knew, and I bumped into another five just going out for breakfast this morning! Honestly, I think I know as many people living here as I do back home in Brighton! Anyway, this morning I checked out of Veerachai (too expensive for a short stay) and moved into Somwang guesthouse - literally seconds away from my favourite bars and restaurants. I made the journey by tuk-tuk and as we travelled half way around the old moat it dawned on me that my driver was hopelessly lost, so I ended up having to navigate for him through the narrow sois... most amusing! Anyway, it's now nearly 2pm, it's around 30 degrees outside (so Portia advises me) and Sean and I have an appointment for a traditional Thai massage to ease away those aches and pains...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Massage" Yeah right, is that what you call it now

Anonymous said...

If you have a phrase book you'll see that in Thai "Massage" actually translates directly as "Nosh".

soulmining said...

I knew Cotton's extra 'nosh dosh' was going to come in useful sometime ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, £5 buys you a hell of a lot of "massage" in Thailand.

Anonymous said...

Swear to God.
You're on holiday, step away from the computer, go look at some sights, catch some rays and relax will you.
If you add anything else to this site whilst your away you can consider your arse well and truly fired pal.

Kelly said...

That all sounds great - I don't even bump into that many people I know when I am in Cornwall.

Oh and if you stop posting and letting me know you are ok I will not be your friend when you get back!!!

Anonymous said...

How much was the massage? Still 50 bah? :-)

Glad you're having a great time, matey! Take care of yourself and regards to Dave, etc. Thanks for the froggy photo. Guess you'll be doing part of what the photo said at the massage parlour later,eh?? ;-)

Happy regards, your by no means immature friend.

kumquat said...

wow so much has happened on this blog since i last visited! hope you're having a fab time.

x