Sunday, December 04, 2005

The loveGods at the Pavilion Theatre

Another loveGods show. I really respect the way they've built up a grass roots following in Brighton, and guitarist Artie and PA Kate are genuinely sweet, friendly people. The band really seem to embrace their music, but I'm increasingly worried about singer Deah. There's no doubting she's a fierce vocal talent - although that affecting American accent is starting to tire - but she also possesses a huge ego. There's a fine line between being a confident, ballsy performer and a spoilt diva. I just hope she takes the former path. Musically the band sound ever more accomplished, but really start to fly when they take a few changes and try something different, like on their radical reworking of Gershwin's Summertime and their Professional Widow rip-off Disco, by far their most adventurous and gleefully enjoyable song of the night.

Note to self: You will get very drunk very quickly if all you've had to eat all day is four slices of toast.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Sounds like fun! Hope you don't have a horrible hangover from drinking on an almost empty stomach!

Nat Uraleza said...

I saw the Lovegods about 2 years ago at the Sussex Arts Club. I really liked them. I had never heard of them, but a friend took me to see them. I thought the singer was a bit full of herself, like "Oooh look at me I am so cute and amazing", and yes, she's cute etc but I didn't like the way she acted like some super amazing rock star. Still i loved their music :)