Sunday, July 01, 2007

July Live

Hello July! A quiet month ahead I'm thinking, with the traditional festival season dominating the live scene for the Summer. Maybe it's time I did another music festival, it's been 11 years since Phoenix, so I reckon I might go for Latitude next year. Anyways, here's a few bits 'n' bobs coming up this month in and around the city:

01/07 - Guitar Wolf, stars of the cult Asian movie Wild Zero take to the stage at the Engine Rooms. I'm not sure quite what to make of this Japanese metal/punk band but my mate Alex loves them!

02/07 - I was toying with the idea of another trip up to London to see The Hold Steady play at Shepherds Bush Empire, but instead I'm going to remain within the familiar confines of the Dome where I should be seeing Suzanne Vega instead.

03/07 - A tiny warm-up show for Athlete over at the Komedia - last time they were in Brighton they played at Brighton Centre, so this will be a very intimate setting to hear some new material ahead of a full tour in the Autumn.

17/07 - I'm away in Newcastle at this time which is a shame as I'd like to check out Reverend & The Makers who are performing at the Concorde - current single Heavyweight Champion Of The World seems a cut above the usual yob-rock doing the rounds at the moment.

22/07 - Looking for a bit of comedy this weekend perhaps, so the Krater Comedy night at the Komedia seems ideal with a line up including both Will Smith and Mark Watson.

25/07 - It seems a long time ago that An Honest Mistake was hogging the airwaves... since then The Bravery have rather dropped off the radar, but now they're back with a new album and a reportedly new sound. Hmmmm... whatever, I'll go and have a peek when they play at the Concorde.

27/07 - Steve, if you're reading this you're going to spoil your birthday surprise! I'm going to be in London to see Aimee Mann which will also give me the opportunity to check out a new venue, the Indigo2 which is part of the huge 02 arena in Docklands.

28/07 - Another newcomer to the singer/songwriter bandwagon, Scottish youngster Amy MacDonald will be playing at The Hope promoting her new album This Is The Life which gets released this month.

No comments: