Saturday, March 03, 2007

The Hold Steady at Resident Records

The Hold Steady - Resident Records, Brighton

While I didn't thank Paul for my hangover on Thursday morning, I do have to thank him for introducing me to The Hold Steady. He's been raving about their album Boys And Girls In America since the start of the year and more recently their live show at The Borderline in London. Rather luckily, last week the band announced they'd be coming down to Brighton for an instore at Resident Records, so naturally I made sure I was there to see them.

It was such a cool little gig; the shop (tiny at the best of times) was crammed and there was such a relaxed, fun atmosphere inside with the band hovering by the counter drinking cans of Stella. In the end they played a 45 minute acoustic set of American rock & blues which featured songs from the new album, including single Chips Ahoy! plus a couple of songs from Separation Sunday and one or two unreleased tracks. Singer Craig introduced each song and bantered with the crowd and it was just lovely. Afterwards the band hung around to chat and sign things and drummer Bobby even gave me his drumsticks! Definitely a band to watch out for, I hope they return for a 'proper' show in the city later in the year.

No comments: