Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Rakes & Louis XIV at the Concorde

My friend David - the guy who co-wrote the FrightFest feature with me - came down from London yesterday, so I met up with him and his friends Lisa and Hayley for the latest NME Tour to hit the Concorde. The Rakes were headlining; I hadn't heard any of their stuff before, but they were alright, playing that contemporary indie sound of Hard-Fi / Franz Ferdinand with a few Ian Curtis moves thrown in for good measure. I don't think I'm going to rush out and buy their record though. Oh, and please excuse my shitty photography last night, I must admit I spent more time chatting and drinking than concentrating on the bands.

I didn't even get around to snapping Louis XIV as they were already halfway through their set when we arrived (well, I didn't expect them to be playing at 9:30 when the gig was supposed to go on to 1am), which is a real shame as they were a much more intriguing prospect. Sounding a little like The White Stripes fronted by Mark E. Smith (vocally), and with a healthy dose of charisma and stage presence, they ought to go down well over here - I'd certainly like to see them do a full headlining live show. I was keen to catch up with Jason (the singer) as he's a friend of Tatiana's and she'd interviewed the band in LA earlier this year (check out her article here) and I was lucky enough to spot him standing right behind me during The Rakes set, so I went over and introduced myself. We had a quick chat and he revealed that the band have been asked to appear on the Jonathan Ross show this week - although I had to explain to him exactly who Jonathan Ross is, and why that's a good invitation to get - so look out for them on BBC One on Friday night. In the meantime you can check out their website here, and get ready for their album The Best Little Secrets Are Kept which is released here on October 17th.

1 comment:

soulmining said...

I did end up buying the Louis XIV album in the end.