Thursday, September 01, 2005

FrightFest Movie Haiku - Day Of The Dead

www.georgearomero.com


Dir: George A. Romero


Cast: Lori Cardille, Terry Alexander, Joe Pilato, Jarlath Conroy


The dead walk the earth

the living hide underground

hope you choke on 'em


It's humans vs. zombies in this 1985 classic. Historically Dawn was always my favourite of the Dead movies, but as time goes by I find myself preferring the third film, with Day’s dark tone seeming more relevant and enduring when compared to the more humorous tone of its predecessor. It’s a richer film with stronger characters in which Romero is able to develop and expand on the themes from his earlier work, and take them to a chilling conclusion as society breaks down and our motley bunch of survivors turn against one another. Visually it’s a much more arresting film, from that shocking dream sequence at the start (still a classic, even now), through to the carnage that ensues as the zombies infiltrate the underground bunker. Make no mistake, Day is a blood-soaked experience. I’d always been led to believe that my old VHS bootleg was uncut, but watching this American cut of the film I’m not so sure now; all that finger munching and eyeball ripping, well, I’m sure it wasn’t quite so graphic in my copy. In addition to all the gore on display it’s good to know that a film of this era still has the power to shock, twenty years on. Yes, Steve, I am talking about you - we all noticed you jump out of your seat.

soulmining rating: ****

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read an interesting article on it I would like to share with you...