Monday, April 02, 2007

April Live

Whoops! A day later than normal because (ahem) I forgot... here's my little list of interesting things that are happening around Brighton in April. Plus a couple of things I'm going to in London aswell. March was a cracking month for live music, so here's hoping April follows the same pattern!

02/04 - So, erm, that'll be tonight then. Local band Silvermaker are going to be playing at the Pressure Point. I still haven't seen them play live yet, really must get to one of their forthcoming shows...

04/04 - I first heard Scott Matthews on the Shortbus film soundtrack. Very much in the same vein as Jeff Buckley and Elliott Smith, he's busy touring his Passing Strangers album and will be playing at the Corn Exchange. I'm working on that one so will be looking forward to seeing what he's like live. Over at Brighton Centre it's more stand up from Ricky Gervais - who's just booked an extra show at Brighton Dome for 8th June. Tickets now on sale!

05/04 - I'm in London for an evening with Kevin Smith (the film director - the one who made Clerks). It's the second of two nights at the Prince Charles Cinema and he promises four hours of Q&A action, so should be a whole lot of fun. Meanwhile in Brighton you've got Oom having an album launch party at the Prince Albert and Chungking on the bill at the Komedia.

12/04 - My favourite album of last year was The Trials Of Van Occupanther by Midlake. I saw them live at the ULU a few months ago but now they're in Brighton to play at the Concorde so I shall certainly be seeing them again. Over at Brighton Centre there's the Sugababes with their greatest hits package - would probably be very entertaining if I wasn't already booked up elsewhere.

13/04 - Another potential film event up in London as I fancy going up to the NFT to see Alan Jones interview Alejandro Jodorowsky, the madman behind such films as El Topo (screening beforehand), The Holy Mountain and Sante Sangre. He's knocking on a bit now so this could well be our last chance to see the maverick director in person.

16/04 - It's a rare UK appearance from Feist at the Komedia. A member of the collective Broken Social Scene, I've got her first solo album Let It Die and her new album comes out later this month. Quite jazzy, but very cool.

17/04 - Another local band I've been meaning to check out for some time, so I'm hoping to get to the Sussex Arts Club to see The Mummers (formerly just Mummer) do their thing as I know I'm definitely not able to make their Fringe performance at the Joogleberry next month.

22/04 - And finally my good mate Dom returns to action. After the demise of his former band Good Morning Captain his new outfit Euchrid Eucrow have only played selected dates (not surprising as bandmates Abi and Ginger are busy with Bat For Lashes) but they're up for a slot at The Hope tonight, so I'll hopefully get along and lend my support.

No comments: