Sunday, May 28, 2006

Bic Runga at the Spiegeltent

Having caught Nerina Pallot's lunchtime set at Borders I didn't feel so bad for blowing out her gig at St George's Church in the evening (hopefully Kelly will write a few words about it on her blog next week as she was going). Instead I went to the Spiegeltent to watch Bic Runga, on tour to promote the release of her new album Birds. Introduced on stage by Chris Difford, she and her band played a straight 80 minute set of songs spanning all four of her albums, finishing with an encore of Captured and Ruby Nights. The 1930's Art Deco surroundings of the Gaieté tent perfectly suited Bic's lovelorn torch songs, and she admitted that this was the one date on the tour that she'd most been looking forward to. The band certainly seemed relaxed and in good spirits and Bic said they'd spent an enjoyable day cruising Brighton's pubs and trying mushy peas for the very first time!

Afterwards I met up for a pint with Graham and Alex and we hung around to meet Bic as she was happily chatting away and signing stuff for anyone that wanted. Being the sad fanboy well organised individual that I am, Bic spotted my silver pen (black CD covers...) and actually asked if she could buy it off me as she'd only got a black marker pen, so I got my CDs signed and then let her keep it. Whether she takes my advice and records her beautiful cover of Bowie's Wild Is The Wind remains to be seen...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, she's pretty!!! :)~