Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Reflections on 2007

It's fast approaching the end of another year so as is customary I thought I'd take a few moments to look back and reflect on the past twelve months.

1) Was 2007 a good year for you?

I'd have to say yes, it was. Few changes at home and at work, but things continued to snowball with regards to my film writing and I had more opportunities than ever before - four FrightFest events, the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), a set visit to Beyond The Rave, plus numerous industry screenings. I also made a heap of new friends while I was at it.

2) What was your favourite moment of the year?

That's a tough one! There were so many great moments, but I think the stand out for me was taking part in Mike's Zombie Walk in Leicester Square on August Bank Holiday Monday to help promote The Zombie Diaries. I usually hate any kind of fancy dress but this just came together so well (thanks again to Chrissy for getting our paramedic costumes) and it was such a thrill to see such a huge crowd of like-minded zombies take over the capital for a couple of hours. I don't think I've ever had to pose for so many photographs and Steve and I even made it onto CNN!

3) What was your least favourite moment of the year?

Getting stuck in the lift at my apartment in Toronto, although I did see the funny side of it. I'm just thankful I'm not that claustrophobic!

4) Where will you be when 2007 ends?

I will be staying with my parents in Stocksfield, Northumberland.

5) Who will you be with when 2007 ends?

My parents and - most probably - some of their close friends from the village.

6) Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions from 2007?

Yes, pretty much. My first resolution was to contribute more reviews to Eat My Brains; I certainly kept my hand in better this year, although things did tail off a little after TIFF as work got more intense. My second resolution was to stop mixing beer and wine on nights out which I successfully managed to do.

7) Do you have any New Year's resolutions for 2008?

I would like to get a new job (or at least move up the ranks where I am) to keep me motivated, and to keep taking any film-related opportunities that come my way.

8) Did you fall in love in 2007?

No.

9) Do you regret it?

Not at all. I'd make a rubbish boyfriend; I barely have enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do!

10) Did you break up with anyone in 2007?

No.

11) Did you make any new friends in 2007?

Yes, I continued to make friends through the various FrightFest events and social get-togethers, most notably Johanna, Sheena, Joe Lynch and Scott Weinberg. At TIFF I'd have to include the wonderful Colin Geddes, Ant Timpson, Bruce Fletcher, Mitch Davis, Todd Brown and Darryl Shaw amongst the many cool faces that I met over there. In March I finally got to meet Gia who was instrumental in fuelling my appetite for all things Sunshine, and then closer to home there has been Raissa and Louise who I met via The Mummers gigs and last but not least, James, Lee and Jamie who've become valued friends and colleagues at work.

12) What was your favourite month of 2007?

I'd have to say August as it included the best ever FrightFest event, a huge birthday bash at the Phoenix for Rob and myself, and the Foo Fighters tiny club gig in Brighton.

13) Did you travel outside of the UK in 2007?

Yes, I spent two wonderful weeks in Canada for TIFF where I got to watch loads of new films and meet lots of exciting people. Toronto had such a relaxed, welcoming vibe and it gave me the chance to finally meet up with Courtney, one of my earliest blogging friends.

14) Did you lose anybody close to you in 2007?

No.

15) Did you miss anybody in the past year?

Yeah... this was the first year in a while that I didn't go out to Thailand so I missed seeing the friends that I'd usually hook up with in Chiang Mai, especially Gary who is now teaching out there and my close American buddy Sean. Back here I'd have to say Jim and Lucy who have both moved on to other things and I rarely see nowadays, and more recently Darren who has relocated to Leicester - I miss having them around.

16) What was your favourite movie that you saw in 2007?

I'd have to say the French shocker Inside (À l'intérieur) which I saw three times on the big screen - a stunning piece of work.

17) What was your favourite song from 2007?

There was a whole host of catchy tunes this year, but top of the heap was undoubtedly Foundations by Kate Nash, the song of the Summer. I'll always remember the scrum at Pure Groove when the single was launched and Kate ended up busking outside!

18) What was your favourite record from 2007?

It's a close one, I was originally going to say Sound Of Silver by LCD Soundsystem but on balance I think Wincing The Night Away by The Shins just shades it.

19) How many concerts did you see in 2007?

My blagging continues unabated... Forty-five, plus a scattering of comedy and literary events.

20) Did you have a favourite concert in 2007?

No contest, Foo Fighters at the Concorde 2 in Brighton with my flatmate Steve. A special gig for Radio One with an audience of around 400 punters - simply awesome! And, we didn't pull any favours to get tickets, I had to queue up for about three hours outside the venue like everyone else... worth every moment. Unmissable!

21) Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2007?

An average year I suppose. However, I've definitely become more sensitive to my previous drunken exploits and have taken to drinking shorts more often and not mixing my drinks quite so much. I can only recall one really severe hangover this year which resulted from 'The McEvoy Effect' when we got together to see Matt Berry at the Komedia back in February.

22) Did you do a lot of drugs in 2007?

None at all.

23) How many people did you sleep with in 2007?

(Sighs) None.

24) Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?

Telling a friend something that I'd been told in confidence and getting found out. That taught me a hard lesson and I'd like to think that I'm a lot more discreet now. Also being given a gift that belonged to someone else and not owning up because I wanted to keep it for myself, that was pretty low.

25) What was the worst lie someone told you in 2007?

I don't remember being told any big fat lies, or at least none that have affected me. I do have a close friend who I believe is being lied to repeatedly, but that's a whole other story...

26) What was the best practical joke that you played in 2007?

I don't think there were any corkers this year, although I've just given flatmate Steve a DVD of Bradley Walsh's Soccer Shockers for Christmas which was very funny! Chrissy and I tried to convince (other) Steve that we were taking him to see Scissor Sisters at the O2 for his birthday when in fact we were going to see Aimee Mann at the IndigO2 instead, but I don't think he ever fully believed us. Of course there were plenty of gags in the office, although I reckon my spacesuit was the butt of most of them - the best of which was Darren's frequent use of Babylon Zoo's Spaceman as the perfect companion to Polly's horn.

27) What was your proudest moment of 2007?

Getting my first poster quote for the UK release of Satan (Sheitan) was one, as was being asked to help introduce the UK Premiere of Frontiere(s) at the FrightFest all-nighter, but I would have to say that my proudest moment was penning the intro for this year's FrightFest brochure - so many thanks to Ian and Paul for giving me that opportunity.

28) What was your most embarrassing moment of 2007?

I think I've been better behaved this year! The one embarassing moment that springs to mind is when I was at Gatwick airport with Ian and his Dad and we were sampling the cocktails at the Southern Comfort stand. In my eagerness I managed to knock over the display and send a bottle rolling across the floor - although remarkably it didn't break, so it could have been worse!

29) If you could go back in time to one moment in time in 2007 and change something what would it be?

I would make sure that Rob had his passport safe and sound prior to the FrightFest event in Glasgow.

30) What are your plans for 2007?

I am currently applying for a new job at work so am hopeful that I will be successful and that it will lead to a more challenging and fulfilling role. In March I plan to return to Thailand after a two year absence and am looking forward to hooking up with the usual suspects out there. I am also hoping to do at least one international film festival this year and will keep pursuing all my various film-related projects including a brand new regular blog for the FrightFest website entitled TV Eye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah - I'm reading you know... More EMB stuff! (-;

And FrightFest columns and DVD sleeves and everything else that's going to keep coming your way in 2008..!