Sunday, October 23, 2005

Notes from a Comedy Festival (Part 4)

Day 13 - Wednesday

There's a good buzz from colleagues about Dave Spikey's show last night. Wish I'd made the effort to go and see him now. Working on the two Pav shows - first Howard Read and then Alun Cochrane. Alun seems a really nice chap and I'm tempted to stick my head in and catch the end of his performance, but I chicken out - I hate walking into shows late. (Doesn't seem to bother our customers however...)

Day 14 - Thursday

I begin my campaign to fill seats for tomorrow night's performance by John Oliver & Andy Zaltzman which is currently struggling for ticket sales. I manage to get eight definites before the end of the working day; it's a good start. I work on Ardal O'Hanlon's show in the Dome. He annoys me as he's the only act in the festival to have a support (Lucy Porter) which means I finish half an hour later than anticipated and am therefore late in getting down to the Concorde to see Fozzy. On the plus side, I do get the chance to chat to Emiliana Torrini when she collects her tickets.

Day 15 - Friday

I have the night off. I'm tempted by Daniel Kitson hosting Best of the Fest but stick to my original plan and see John Oliver & Andy Zaltman in the Pav with a group of friends. We've managed to get the audience up to about 70 now, so it's not a complete disaster. It's a shame there's not more people though as John & Andy are a great double act and their political satire is very sharp. Their delivery is shambolic in places, but this only adds to the humour - especially when John leaves Andy floundering and takes a seat on the front row, refusing to help. In addition we get a talking mini-Tony Benn, John's embarassing charades, and an adventure game in which the audience play the role of England voyaging into the single European currency. After a quick pint it's round to the Corn Exchange to catch Stewart Lee who I haven't seen live since the days of Lee & Herring. Stewart's show is lean and assured, with the whole routine delivered in a very soft, measured tone. This is edgy humour as Stew takes on religion in reaction to the accusations of blasphemy that have come his way since he co-wrote and directed Jerry Springer - The Opera. "I vomited into the gaping anus of Christ," is a line that certainly won't appease his critics anytime soon. On a lighter note, he did pick up on the fact that our side of the audience was appreciating his jokes a little more than the other side, so ended up picking on them (as Team F) which he then incorporated into his material. Stew was in the pub after the show along with Danny Bhoy who my flatmate recommended after catching his Best of the Fest appearance. Apparently Kitson was heckled the moment he walked onstage, so his first words were, "I appear to have walked into a room full of c***s!" Priceless. We get slightly drunk and continue to drink back at the flat until nearly 4am.

Day 16 - Saturday

The final day! Feeling nice and hungover after last night's exploits. Jimmy Carr is doing two sold out shows in the Dome and wanders into the office during the afternoon looking slightly bewildered. I work on both of his shows and all goes smoothly, despite the quick turnaround - although we do have one twat from the press who walks off in a strop as he's not on the guest list. There is some drama outside the venue however, as a taxi clips a skateboarder, and the skateboarder retaliates by throwing his skateboard through the back window of the taxi - and is then beaten up by a bloke who comes running out of the pub opposite. The police are called and before you know it there's two police vans and four police cars blocking the road outside. In between Jimmy's shows I have enough time to nip into the Corn Exchange to catch Danny Bhoy. His banter about the difference between the Scots and the rest of the world is funny and refreshing after all the political humour this festival. When the curtain comes down on the last performance it's time to head round to the Pav for the end-of-festival party. More boozing required and a very pleasant way to close this year's most successful event. Right, they're showing some of the highlights on Paramount as I type this, so I'm off to watch that now...

No comments: