Friday, October 28, 2005

The Dandy Warhols at the Hammersmith Palais

Hey, I love The Dandy Warhols, they're one of my favourite bands on the planet. They always put on a good live show, and this latest one was no exception - a diverse mix of old and new songs, finishing with a cover of Hell's Bells after ninety minutes (no encore, apart from Zia staying behind to sing Daisy once again). Not so much banter with the crowd this time around, but a great show nonetheless.

This was actually the first time I've been to a gig at the Hammersmith Palais and I was really impressed with the layout, it's definitely one of the better venues in London. Support came from Norwegian noise-merchants Serena-Maneesh who impressed me enough to go and buy their self-titled CD straight after the show. They've had so many musicians work on their album I've no idea which members were actually playing on stage, but having listened to the CD a few times now, I think their music works better live - with shared male / female vocals, a tall willowy, chain-smoking bass player, and raucous guitar squalls which evoked the glory days of My Bloody Valentine and Curve. www.serena-maneesh.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey i was just surfin the web and i saw the dandys, i love them! i didnt know zia sings! thats awesome

soulmining said...

Thanks for stopping by... if you read my Archives from June you can read my write up about Brian Jonestown Massacre too...