Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Doctor Who spin-off series (anag.)

Yup, that's right. BBC Three are gonna be making Torchwood, a spin-off series from Doctor Who. Interesting. Rather worryingly, however, is the news that it will feature Captain Jack, surely the most annoying, smarmy character to feature in the recent series.

"Torchwood will be a dark, clever, wild, sexy, British crime/sci-fi paranoid thriller cop show with a sense of humour - the X Files meets This Life," says Russell T Davies. "It's a renegade bunch of investigators charged by the British government to find alien technology that has fallen to Earth," BBC Three controller Stuart Murphy told The Independent. The show will be set in Cardiff, and will be 13 45-minute episodes, transmitting between series of Doctor Who. Confirmed writers include Sapphire and Steel creator PJ Hammond.

You can read the full BBC press release here.

Yesterday I happened to watch the 20th anniversary episode of Neighbours as I was at home. It's the first time I've watched it since 1988. Harold Bishop is the only character who's remained with the programme as far as I could tell, although I noticed that Paul Robinson (Stefan Dennis) has returned - minus a leg it seems (although I'm still in the dark as to how that happened). Anyway, the fun thing about this particular episode was that it showed what some of the former Ramsay Street residents are doing now (via a rather pathetic video documentary), although to be honest I only recognised Plain Jane, Melanie and Gaby from my days as a viewer. Still, the highlight for me was witnessing the return of the great Joe Mangel (Mark Little, adopted son of Brighton & Hove) to Erinsborough, although I assume he's just turned up for that one solitary episode. No sign of Bouncer mind, which was frankly disappointing...

No comments: