Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Notes from a Comedy Festival (Part 3)

Day 9 – Saturday

The long hours, late nights and lack of sleep are beginning to take their toll. I’m feeling knackered and rundown, and have a sore throat that just won’t budge. Bird flu is slowly spreading around the office (aka ‘man’ flu) and we’re all trying to avoid it. Tonight is ‘Burns night’ around the venue as we’ve got Brendon Burns and Jason Byrne doing shows in the Pav and Ed Byrne performing in the Corn Exchange. Confusing, huh? I’m on Pav duty; all goes smoothly. Amazingly I don’t have one punter who’s booked the wrong show by mistake. Jack Dee is confirmed as the special guest for I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue on Tuesday.

Day 10 – Sunday

I work on the afternoon show at the Dome from Paul Merton and his improvisation chums. As I walk through the stage door a middle-aged lady and her daughter are busy presenting Paul with a freshly baked cake. In the evening I’m back at the Dome again to work on Ross Noble’s final festival performance. We have a couple of punters who turn up with tickets for the previous night, one of whom is a suitably embarrassed Tim Booth. Thankfully it’s not a complete sell out, so we’re able to sort them out and they get in to see the show okay.

Day 11 – Monday

A very quiet day; just Topping & Butch and Daniel Kitson with shows in the Pav tonight.

Day 12 – Tuesday

There’s a good choice of shows tonight with I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue being recorded in the Dome, and Omid Djalili and Dave Spikey performing in the Corn Exchange. But it’s my day off, so no comedy for me today – unless you count Brighton winning away at Crystal Palace in the football that is. (Sorry Darren)

No comments: