Friday, July 01, 2005

July Live

I was under the false impression that July was going to be pretty much devoid of live entertainment, but now that I've had a scout around there's actually some rather attractive propositions on offer this month after all. Here's my round-up of July's hot picks:

02/07 - Apparently there's a few bands playing in Hyde Park... yes, it's the Live 8 concert with U2, Coldplay, Madonna, REM and many more all performing. I've got tickets for the big screens in Hyde Park (only had to queue for thirty minutes - none of this camping overnight lark) but don't think I can actually make it now, so if anyone wants my tickets...

05/07 - Something a little different over at the Jubilee Library where Chinese author Wei Hui will be giving a talk about her writing and influences. She wrote the controversial Shanghai Baby which was banned in her native land, and has just published latest novel, Marrying Buddha, which I'm currently reading.

07/07 - Brighton bands Electric Soft Parade and The Tenderfoot are playing at the Pressure Point.

14/07 - After weeks of trying I've finally managed to get hold of a pair of standing tickets for Nine Inch Nails at Brixton Academy! Hurrah! I'll have to miss Brian Wilson at the Dome that night though. Boo!

18/07 - Audio celebrate their first birthday with a performance by Mylo. That'll be his third visit to Brighton already this year then.

21/07 - Might be tempted to check out Chungking at the Komedia having finally got around to listening to their debut album, The Hungry Years. (Named after the rock club where I used to DJ in the mid-nineties...)

23/07 - Smirnoff Experience are organising a free party up at Brighton Racecourse with British Sea Power appearing (amongst others) so am hoping to blag a couple of tickets for that one. Hopefully there'll be plenty of free vodka too.

24/07 - Luke Haines, singer with The Auteurs and Black Box Recorder is doing a solo acoustic set at the Hanbury Ballroom.

25/07 - I'd recommend checking out Brighton super-group Brakes at the Komedia, but I'm already gonna be in London to check out Nerina Pallot (who I missed back in April) playing at the Borderline.

No comments: