Saturday, March 26, 2005

A slap on the wrist from eBay


Fischerspooner - not allowed on eBay!

I've started selling some stuff on eBay recently, mainly CDs I no longer want. All was going swimmingly well until this week when I received an email from eBay telling me that they'd been asked by EMI Music (UK) to remove my listing of Fischerspooner's new Odyssey promo CD! And then warned me that if I repeat this offence then I'm likely to have my eBay account suspended! Okay, I'll concede that the CD in question is not actually available to buy in the shops until next month, so I can kinda understand that the record company might be a bit pissed about it... but where is this Big Brother heavy-handedness gonna stop? This begs the following questions:
  • Do record companies object to ANY promos being sold on eBay... because let's face it, promos are collectable and eBay is overrun by them, it's gonna be a big job to try and enforce that particular measure.
  • Do EMI Music (UK) actually employ someone just to trawl eBay looking for naughty boys and girls who are trying to flog their promo CDs?
  • Why don't eBay actually try and stamp out the constant stream of obvious counterfeit CDs and DVDs that still populate their listings instead of worrying about promotional items?
  • Does anyone want to buy a promo copy of the new Fischerspooner CD? Yours for a fiver, no questions asked...

No comments: