Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Easter Weekender


An Easter Eggs-hibition

I hope you all had a good break over the Easter weekend. I spent mine with friends Troy, Rom, Steve and Chrissy for a marathon viewing of the Lord of the Rings trilogy - the extended editions no less. That's nearly twelve hours of movie to stay awake through... or doze off through in my case. We also found time to decorate some Easter eggs (see above)... this seems to be a continuation of the creative streak which began with our pumpkin carvings last Halloween.

On Saturday evening we welcomed back Doctor Who to our television screens. I have to admit I used to love that programme back in the eighties when I was a young kid... so like most people my age, was a little wary at the news that the BBC were bringing the show back. However, on the basis of the first episode I reckon they've made a decent stab at updating the show for a new generation of viewers. Christopher Eccleston is a great choice as The Doctor as he can really act and he brings a real confidence to the role. Billie Piper as companion Rose seems okay and her character gives her a more equal role, rather than just have her stand around screaming. With a new format of single forty-five minute episodes the stories might feel a little hurried compared to the adventures of old, but I know there's at least a couple of two-parters to come later on in the series. Okay, it wasn't perfect - a couple of CG scenes looked a little awkward - but it was never less than entertaining, and that's a major achievement considering the weight of expectation on their shoulders. Apparently it clocked over 10 million viewers on Saturday night, so the signs are positive. Here's looking forward to episode two!

Oh yeah, and I also bought Waiting for the Sirens' Call by New Order and it's ace.

No comments: