Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Patti Smith at the Dome

Patti Smith is an icon, some would say she's a legend. If you're into your rock music then she's one of those performers who you really ought to see live at least once in your lifetime. Now I'm not a huge fan, I don't own any of her albums, but I was lucky enough to get a ticket for her gig at the Concorde a couple of years ago and the lady just blew me away. Last night, after taking care of her guest list (notable names: Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine and singer / songwriter Astrid Williamson), I thought I'd stick my head in for a couple of songs, but once inside Patti had me under her spell right until the very last note. The woman has the most incredible voice, changing from soft and soothing to harsh and angry at will. She's a natural performer and - like Bowie and Iggy - just seems to get better and better with age. In between songs she was witty and assured, sharing her tales of Brighton's buskers and apologising for her love of beans on toast! Her band - including Television's Tom Verlaine on guitar - gave excellent support and they encored with the bass player crooning an old Elvis number (on the anniversary of his death), before Patti launched into a stunning finale of Horses and Gloria. For once the term legendary is deserved. Simply awesome!

If you'd like to see some of Matt's official photos of Patti from yesterday then check out his site here.

1 comment:

soulmining said...

Yeah, erm, thanks for that.