Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Secret Machines at the Concorde

On Monday night I decided to check out Secret Machines down at the Concorde. I'd heard very little of their stuff, but their sound had been described as psychedelic, progressive rock so I thought they'd be worth a look. Live on stage I felt they came across more like Muse; they really rocked out, but their songs eschewed the verse / chorus / verse structure in favour of long meandering epics. I did recognise a couple of familiar tracks from Now Here Is Nowehere whilst the rest of the set comprised tracks from their forthcoming Ten Silver Drops album. What was particularly impressive was the light show - the best I've ever seen at the Concorde, which made me feel like I was watching a Brixton Academy show in my own living room. With huge banks of lights back-lighting the band, and a constant supply of dry ice, the effect was stunning. They really deserve to be performing in bigger venues, and on this evidence I'm sure it won't be long before they are.

www.thesecretmachines.com

No comments: